Wednesday, October 13, 2010

True Love and How to Walk in It: Chapters 6 & 7

Chapter Six
LOVE IS NOT PROUD

Proud …
1: feeling or showing pride: as
a: having or displaying excessive self-esteem b: much pleased: exultant c: having proper self-respect
Synonyms proud, arrogant, haughty, lordly, insolent, overbearing, supercilious, disdainful mean showing scorn for inferiors. proud may suggest an assumed superiority or loftiness

Romans 15:8 (Amplified)
For I tell you that Christ (the Messiah) became a servant and a minister to the circumcised (the Jews) in order to show God’s truthfulness and honesty by confirming (verifying) the promises (given) to our fathers.

Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Jesus left His throne and place next to God to become a servant to man. He was born in a manger like an animal and died on a cross like a thief. He was always respectful and never expected to be treated better than the lowest servant. He treated people how He wants us to treat others. He is our example - our goal. Being a Christian doesn’t mean we are better than anyone else, but it means we are servants to those who aren’t. Not to be trampled upon but to show God’s love through our servant’s heart and serving actions.

1 John 4:16 (Amplified)
By this we come to know (progressively to recognize, to perceive, to understand) the (essential) love: that He laid down His (own) life for us; and we ought to lay (our) lives down for (those who are our) brothers (in Him).

I think everyone of us can find ourselves in a situation where maybe we become proud. Now I think there is nothing wrong in being proud of yourself when you accomplish a goal that you set for yourself. Like a child who learns to tie their shoe and wants everyone to see. Or as a homemaker who finished cleaning out a junk closet. Or as a businessperson who makes a sale or finishes a big project.
Where we need to be concerned about pride is when we believe we accomplish these goals without the wisdom and favor of God. But also as Christians we need to not be proud in that fact. I have seen Christians treat others as inferior to those that have not chosen Jesus. I have even seen Christians show pride in being in a denomination. My point in that is that God did not set up denominations, that was man’s doing. We are to be one in Christ (Galatians 3:28)! If there is any pride we should have, it should be in Christ Himself. Pride in Him for what He did for us.
Just like I tell my children, it is good that we can do something (such as draw a pretty picture or ride a bike) but we need not brag about our accomplishments over someone else’s. You can be proud without being haughty or arrogant. But know that it is the Lord that gives us the ability to do all things.
Even in our faith walk we need to not be proud in how much we know or how far we have come. God has given us all the same amount of faith. But your faith grows by hearing the Word (Romans 10:17).
The more we study the more we know. And I have found out that even the amount of time we have been a Christian shouldn’t make us proud but the time we spend with God is where our faith and strength come from.

Jeremiah 33:2-3 (Amplified)
This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.

Chapter Seven
LOVE IS NOT RUDE

Rude …
2: lacking refinement or delicacy c: offensive in manner or action: discourteous d: uncivilized, savage e: coarse, vulgar
Synonyms rude, rough, crude, raw mean lacking in social refinement. rude implies ignorance of or indifference to good form; it may suggest intentional discourtesy
As I said before Jesus was always respectful no matter who was in His presence. He did not put on airs. To Jesus everyone, no matter the gender, race, title, profession or economic status was on the same level. He never spoke a word of violence or vulgarity.

Matthew 11:29 (Amplified)
Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.

I must say, universally I have seen some rude people. I know of moments, where I have made rude comments to people. But at this point in my life I try and pay attention to the things I say. I try to put other people’s feelings above my own. Am I always successful? Unfortunately no. But I am trying.
We need to think before we speak. Usually people are rude to make themselves feel better. So let’s ask this question; when we gripe at the server because our food took a long time to come out and may be cold, does that make us feel better? How does that make the server feel? How would that maybe change her attitude toward the cook?
What about standing in a long slow line at the grocery store. Does our impatience make the cashier move faster or maybe could that make them flustered and slow the line down even more?
I would also include our comments in regards to other people’s sense of style or looks. Now obviously everyone has different ideas of style. I try to teach my children that even though they may find something ugly or even a food dish they don’t like, it is best to keep those comments to themselves - unless asked. I have seen people wear something that I thought was horrible, however when I have gone back and thought about it, I want to applaud them for stepping out of the box and being an individual. I will say however, when it comes to dress there is a difference in being different than being lewd. I would never think dressing to show off physical attributes to get a sexual response is appropriate in public.
We must always remember we are to treat others as we want to be treated. We must talk to others like we want to be talked to.


Luke 6:31 (Amplified)
And as you would like and desire that men would do to you, do exactly so to them.

We need to remember that people look at Christ through us. We should always act in a way that shows Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:16 (Amplified)
But I obtained mercy for the reason that in me, as the foremost [of sinners], Jesus Christ might show forth and display all His perfect long-suffering and patience for an example to [encourage] those who would thereafter believe on Him for [the gaining of] eternal life.

In some instances we are the only example of Jesus people may ever see. When people see you they should see Jesus. So how do you want people to see Jesus?

1 comment:

Karen Dye Watkins said...

Great thoughts, April. Good things to meditate on. I am "proud" to have you as a sister in Christ. Love you!

"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all." Psalm 34:19